Wednesday, January 21, 2009


How to Lift Your Mood? Try Smiling
By John Cloud Friday, Jan. 16, 2009
Go to full-size image

My personal trainer sometimes gives me an odd piece of advice during
workouts: "Relax your face." For a long time, I found this advice
confusing. Isn't physical exertion supposed to be expressed in
grimaces? I thought of the face as a pressure-relief valve that helps
emit the pain the body is experiencing. But the trainer suggested I
think about it the other way around — that controlling the face can
help control the mind.
More Related

* Skip the Botox. Try Facial Yoga
* Bashful is in the Eye Of The Beholder
* Facing Realities

I was skeptical until I read a paper in the January issue of the
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, a peer-reviewed
publication of the American Psychological Association. That paper led
me to other papers, and it turns out the trainer is right: The face
isn't a pressure-relief valve. It is more like a thermostat. When you
turn down the setting, the machinery inside has to do less work.

For the whole article:
http://www.time. com/time/ health/article/ 0,8599,1871687, 00.htm

 

No comments: